SECTION 6.05. DEFINITIONS.
(1) AAdministering Authority@ means the governmental employee empowered under Chapters. 61.354 and 62.234 Wis. Stats., designated by the Village of River Hills to administer this ordinance.
(2) AAgricultural land use@ means planting, growing, cultivating and harvesting of crops for human or livestock consumption and pasturing or yarding of livestock, including sod farms and tree nurseries, but does not include the construction of buildings or facilities used for agriculture.
(3) AApplicant@ means any landowner, their agent, or contractor responsible for submitting and carrying out the requirements of this ordinance. Applicant shall also mean any subsequent landowner to whom this ordinance applies.
(4) ABest Management Practice@ or ABMP@ means a structural or non-structural practice, technique or measure, facility, system of practices or device which is determined to be an effective means of preventing or reducing runoff pollutants to waters of the State, to a level compatible with the performance standards of this ordinance.
(5) ABusiness day@ means a day which offices of the Village of River Hills are open for business.
(6) ACease and desist order@ means a court issued order to halt land developing activity that is being conducted without the required permit.
(7) ACommon plan of development@ means all lands included within the boundary of a plat of survey, certified survey map or subdivision plat created for the purpose of development where multiple separate and distinct land developing activities may take place at different times and on different schedules.
(8) AConnected imperviousness@ means an impervious surface that directs runoff to a separate storm sewer or water of the State via an impervious flow path.
(9) ADesign rainfall event@ means a discrete rainstorm characterized by a specific duration, rainfall intensity, return frequency.
(10) ADevelopment” means any improvements to a parcel or parcels of land that would increase the storm water runoff or adversely effect the quality of storm water runoff.
(11) ADischarge volume@ means a discrete rainstorm characterized by a specific duration, rainfall intensity, return frequency.
(12) ADivision of land@ means the creation from one parcel of two or more parcels, or building sites where such creation occurs at one time or through the successive partition within a 5-year period.
(13) AExceptional resource waters@ means waters listed in s. NR102.11, Wis. Adm. Code.
(14) AExisting land use condition@ means the condition of the proposed development site and the adjacent properties that are present at the time of the storm water permit application. This term applies only for the purpose of properly sizing the storm water conveyance system in accordance with the requirements of this ordinance, Section 6.06 (1)(b), Village of River Hills Municipal Code.
(15) AFee-in-lieu@ means a payment of money to the Village of River Hills in place of meeting all or part of the storm water performance standards required by this ordinance.
(16) AFinal stabilization@ means that all land disturbing construction activities at the permitted development site have been completed and that a uniform vegetative cover has been established, with a density of at least 70% of the cover, for the unpaved areas and areas not covered by permanent structures, or that employ equivalent permanent stabilization measures.
(17) AFuture proposed land use condition@ means any proposed land alterations or disturbances including but not limited to removal of vegetative cover, excavating, filling/grading, construction of buildings, roads, parking lots, paved storage areas and similar facilities. Also see “Post-development land use condition”.
(18) AGross aggregate area@ means the total area, in acres, of all land located within the property boundary containing the land development activity.
(19) AGroundwater enforcement standard@ means a numerical value expressing the concentration of a substance in groundwater, which is adopted under Chapter. 160.07 Wis. Stats., and s. NR 60.10 or s. 160.09 Wis. Stats, and s. NR 60.12.
(20) AGroundwater preventive action limit@ means a numerical value expressing the concentration of a substance in groundwater that is adopted under s. 160.15 Wis. Stats., and s. NR 60.12 or 60.20.
(21) AGoverning body@ means the River Hills Village Board.
(22) AHydrologic soil group@ means a group of soils having similar runoff potential under the same storm and cover conditions. Major hydrologic soil groups are group A for sand, loamy sand or sandy loam; group B for silt or loam; group C for sandy clay loam; group D for clay loam, silty clay loam, sandy clay, silty clay or clay.
(23) AImpervious surface@ means a surface that does not allow infiltration during precipitation events. Rooftops, sidewalks, parking lots, and street surfaces are examples of areas that are typically impervious.
(24) AIn-fill area@ means an undeveloped area of land located within existing development.
(25) AInfiltration@ means the process by which rain or surface runoff penetrates into the underlying soil.
(26) ALand development activity@ means any activity that changes the volume or peak flow discharge rate of storm water runoff from the land surface. This term does not include agricultural cropping activities.
(27) AMaintenance Agreement@ means a legal document that is filed with the County Register of Deeds as a property deed restriction, and which provides for long-term maintenance of storm water management measures.
(28) ANatural wetlands@ means an area where water is at, near, or above the land surface long enough to be capable of supporting aquatic or hydrophytic vegetation and which has soils indicative of wet conditions. These wetlands include existing, mitigation and restored wetlands.
(29) ANon-storm water discharge@ means a discharge to the storm sewer system created by some process other than the runoff from precipitation.
(30) ANonstructural measure@ means a practice, technique, or measure to reduce the volume, peak flow rate, or pollutants, in storm water that does not require the design or installation of fixed storm water management facilities.
(31) AOff-site@ means lands located outside the property boundary described in the permit application for land development activity.
(32) AOn-site@ means lands located within the property boundary described in the permit application for land development activity.
(33) AOutstanding resource waters@ means waters listed in ss. NR 102.10, Wis. Adm. Code.
(34) APeak flow discharge rate@ means the maximum rate of flow of water at a given point in a channel, watercourse, or conduit resulting from a predetermined storm or flood.
(35) APerformance security@ means a performance bond, maintenance bond, surety bond, irrevocable letter of credit, or similar guarantee submitted to the Village of River Hills by the permit holder to assure that requirements of the ordinance are carried out in compliance with the Storm Water Management Plan.
(36) APermit@ means a written authorization made by the Village of River Hills to the applicant to conduct land development activities or to discharge post-construction runoff to waters of the State.
(37) APermit administration fee@ means a sum of money paid to the Village of River Hills by the permit applicant for the purpose of recouping the expenses incurred by the Village in administering the permit.
(38) APervious surface@ means an area that infiltrates rainfall during a large portion of the design rainfall event. Lawns, fields and woodlands are examples of pervious surfaces.
(39) APollutant@ has the meaning in s. 283.01(13), Stats.
(40) APollution@ has the meaning in s. 281.01(10), Stats.
(41) APost-construction storm water discharge@ means any storm water discharged from a site following the completion of land disturbing construction activity and final site stabilization.
(42) APost-development land use condition@ means the extent and distribution of land cover types, anticipated to occur under conditions of full development, that will influence precipitation runoff and infiltration. Also see “Future proposed land use condition”.
(43) APre-development land use condition@ means land which has runoff characteristics equivalent to runoff Curve Numbers (CNs) of: 30, 58, 71, and 78 for Hydrologic Soil Groups A, B, C, and D, respectively. This term is used for the purpose of matching of pre- and post-development storm water peak flows and volumes as required by this ordinance. S. 6.06(1)(a) Village of River Hills Municipal Code, (see also existing land use condition).
(44) APressurized Flow@ is the condition that occurs when the pipe is filled and the water level in the enclosed system rises above the water level of the pipe, thereby creating a pressure head.
(45) APre-treatment@ means the treatment of storm water prior to its discharge to wetlands, infiltration practices or the primary storm water treatment practice in order to reduce pollutant loads to a level compatible with the capability of the primary practice.
(46) APreventive action limit@ has the meaning in ss. NR 60.05(17), Wis. Adm. Code.
(47) APublic drainage system@ means all facilities owned and operated by the Village of River Hills, Milwaukee County or the Wisconsin Department of Transportation for the purpose of collecting, conveying, storing, treating and properly disposing of storm water runoff.
(48) AReconditioning@ has the meaning in s. 84.013(1)(b), Stats.
(49) AReconstruction@ has the meaning in s. 84.013(1)(c), Stats.
(50) ARedevelopment@ means areas where development is replacing older development.
(51) AResidential land development@ means that which is created to house people, including the residential dwellings as well as all affected portions of the development including lawns, driveways, sidewalks, garages, and access streets. This type of development includes single or two family, multi-family, apartment, and trailer parks.
(52) AResurfacing@ has the meaning in s. 84.013(1)(d), Stats.
(53) ARunoff@ means storm water or precipitation including rain, snow or ice melt that moves on the land surface via sheet or channelized flow. Also see AStorm water runoff@.
(54) ARunoff curve number@ means a parameter that combines the effects of soils, watershed characteristics and land use to estimate the amount of runoff from land surfaces.
(55) ASite restriction@ means any physical characteristic that limits the use of a storm water BMP.
(56) AStop work order@ means an order issued by the Village of River Hills that requires that all construction activity on the site be stopped.
(57) AStorm water conveyance system@ means any method employed to carry storm water runoff from a development to waters of the State. Examples of methods include streets, swales, channels, and storm sewers that are not part of a combined sewer system, and natural channels or streams.
(58) “Storm Water Management Plan@ means a document that identifies what actions will be taken to reduce storm water quantity and pollutant loads from the post-development land use condition to levels meeting the requirements of this ordinance.
(59) AStorm water runoff@ means that portion of precipitation that does not soak into the soil, and flows off the surface of the land and into the natural or artificial storm water conveyance system. Also see ARunoff@.
(60) AStorm water management measure@ means structural or non-structural practices that are designed to reduce storm water runoff pollutant loads, discharge volumes, and/or peak flow discharge rates.
(61) ASurcharging@ is a condition in which the rate of runoff exceeds the capacity of a drainage system to carry the water away. It occurs when the water level rises above the top of the sewer pipe.
(62) ATechnical standard@ means an established minimum criterion for planning, performance, design, operation or maintenance for a BMP.
(63) ATop of the channel@ means an edge, or point on the landscape that will contain the average annual runoff from the basin area draining to the channel and is normally identified by a change in slope or vegetation.
(64) ATR-55@ means the National Resources Conservation Service, Urban Hydrology for Small Watersheds, Technical Release 55, and version 2.10, National Resources Conservation Service, USDA NRCS Conservation Engineering Division dated July 1998.
(65) ATransportation facility@ means a highway, a railroad, a public mass transit facility, a public-use airport, a public trail and also includes any other public work for transportation purposes such as harbor improvements under s. 85.095(1)(b), Stats. ATransportation facility@ does not include building sites for the construction of public buildings and buildings that are places of employment that are regulated by the Wisconsin Department of Commerce pursuant to ss. 101.1205, Stats.
(66) AWaters of the State@ means any channel, ditch, stream, lake, or other body of water determined to be under State of Wisconsin authority under Chapter 62 Wis. Stats.
(67) AWetland functional value@ means the type, quality, and significance of the ecological and cultural benefits provided by wetland resources, such as: flood storage, water quality protection, groundwater recharge and discharge, shoreline protection, fish and wildlife habitat, floral diversity, aesthetics, recreation, and education.
(68) AWPDES@ means Wisconsin Pollutant Discharge Elimination System.
(69) AWPDES Storm Water Permit@ means a permit issued by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources under s. 283.33 Wis. Stats. that authorizes the point source discharge of storm water to waters of the state and is regulated by Ch. NR 216 (Storm Water Discharge Permit), Wis. Adm. Code.
(70) “Village” of “the Village” means the Village of River Hills and its authorized personnel.